Sunday, April 7, 2013

#14 Girls On The Run Practice 5k

"Girls on the Run is a transformational learning program for girls in 3rd-8th grade. We teach life skills through dynamic, conversation-based lessons and running games. The program culminates with the girls being physically and emotionally prepared to complete a celebratory 5k running event. The goal of the program is to unleash confidence through accomplishment while establishing a lifetime appreciation of health and fitness." GOTR website http://www.girlsontherun.org/

When I first heard about Girls on the Run, I immediately knew I wanted to help out in some way.  I really would have loved to have been one of the coaches, but I just didn't have the time and never   know what B's schedule is going to be like.  I decided that I would sign up for the Practice 5k.

Now I've run in a lot of 5ks and this was by far the most fun I've had doing one. I met my girl D who is a 3rd grader. While running/walking/having fun, I learned about her family, her favorite subjects in school, and why she loves running. I could tell that she felt a little awkward being with someone she didn't know so I told her funny stories about my baby and made up a rule that we had to do a mini-dance party at every mile mark to celebrate how far we'd come. D really enjoyed that and was very intent on counting our laps to see when we would do another dance party. Luckily, I have no fear of looking ridiculous in front of other adults as long as it puts a smile on a kid's face.

I had so much fun that I confirmed being D's running buddy in the big 5k that will be at the Titan's stadium downtown on May 4th! Woo hoo!

I gave a lady my phone number to text me some photos so hopefully I can post some of those later.

No comments:

Post a Comment