Saturday, April 27, 2013

#16 & #17 Country Music Half Marathon

 


Again, I'm using a race for one of my thirty's. this race actual went to benefit TWO things which is why it is #s 16 & 17.



First off, the race itself sponsors St. Jude. There is a St. Jude in Memphis and they do some great things for kids. However, being the wife of a physician at the Vanderbilt Children's Hospital here IN NASHVILLE, I kind of wish they would support locally. Either way, kids are being helped out and in the end, that is all that matter. :)

 

The second thing I ran for today were the people of Boston and everyone touched by the devastating Boston Bombings. I donated some money per mile ran to wear the Boston Angel. This week leading up to the race, I read a lot of accounts on the Runner's World website and that really fueled me to RUN ON. We were even given commemorative bands to wear in honor of that tragic day.







 

 On the left was what I had planned to wear in honor of Boston. The right is what I ended up wearing because it was raining so hard. This wasn't a nice Northwest kind of raining. It was a good ol' southern down pour. If you've been in the south, you know what I mean. Flash flood warnings were happening and the whole bit! Ugh!

 

I found my friend among 35,000 people and she's in the running club I'm in. We ran together to hit PRs for both of us. :) She was who I ran with a lot of the time after I had Elie because I had to push myself to stay with her. I credit a drop in 26 minutes from my first half marathon to keeping up with this lady!

 

My watch doesn't show the hour, but that is 1:56:36. My goal for this race was 1:55:59 but because of the rain, I'm good with my time. Especially since it beat my best half time of 1:57-something, IN THE RAIN!

 

Overall, a successful day! A better run than I had hoped for in the rain and helping out two great organizations in the process. :)



















****CORRECTION****I started my watch at the wrong time apparently! :) Goal accomplished!

No comments:

Post a Comment